I’ve been asked a few times recently for some resources on Kids and the Internet. Here are some notes that I’ve written previously for this page.
My talk to Parents
MyKid on MySpace – Wary but Willing Parenting of Techno-Talented Tots, Tweens & Teenagers
Download – from summerfest 08
Download – from good news week 09
- MySpace.com – main page
- www.myspace.com/ccecyouth – an example of a profile
- FAQ – from MySpace
- Safety Tips – from MySpace
Dave’s Top Ten Tips
1. Communicate, communicate, communicate.
2. Try to understand the MySpace world
3. Computer in public (e.g. lounge room not bedroom)
4. Shoulder surf – discourage secret keeping
5. Remind to be cautious (think before you post)
FOR SOCIAL NETWORK USERS
6. Make your profile private (and pics etc)
7. Don’t add strangers
8. Limit the use of personal info
9. Report red flags (“block user”, “mark as spam”)
10. Regularly clean up your profile
Accountability and Filters
- X3 watch – FREE. X3 watch sends fortnightly reports to 2 email buddies with questionable sites visited. It also says when the system has been turned off.
- Safe Eyes – FREE (in Australia). This filter has been provided through the Australian Government’s NetAlert – Protecting Australian Families Online initiative
- Covenant Eyes – Covenant Eyes Software provides Internet Integrity with accountability reports.
- XXXchurch.com parents page – don’t let the name put you off! This site is doing a great job at fighting for purity online. Very good advice for parents + links to some more helpful sites.
Key Terms + Other Links
- www.google.com.au – If you have questions, google more often than not has answers!
- ypulse.com – helpful site for understanding teenagers
- MySpace My Kids – A Parent’s Guide to Protecting Your Kids and Navigating MySpace.com
- What people are doing online – helpful graph from Businessweek.com
- Virtual communities and social networking
- List of Social networking sites
- Australian Government – Net Alert
Questions or suggestions
Think before you post videos
While every effort has been made to provide reliable sources, CCECYOUTH (and davemiers.com) doesn’t take responsibility for all of the content contained on the above websites.